For the ninth time in ten editions, Germany and Italy are matched in a UEFA Women's EURO fixture.
Article top media content
• Germany began with a 0-0 draw against Sweden.
• Italy will be out with defeat having lost 2-1 to Russia.
• Germany and Italy renew rivalries in Tilburg for what will be their 13th UEFA Women's EURO meeting including qualifiers.
• The last UEFA Women's EURO not to have a Germany v Italy match at any stage was 1995.
• Their biggest duel was the 1997 final won 2-0 by Germany in Oslo. Steffi Jones was among the Germany team.
• In the last two tournaments, Germany tackled Italy in the quarter-finals, triumphing 2-1 in 2009 and 1-0 four years later in what was their most recent encounter.
• Germany and Italy also faced off in three consecutive semi-finals between 1989 and 1993. In 1989 Germany won on penalties after a 1-1 draw and they prevailed 3-0 two years later.
• In 1993 it ended 1-1 in Rimini and Italy edged it on penalties. That remains the last time anyone has eliminated Germany from a UEFA Women's EURO.
• The countries have played each other twice in group stages, with a 1-1 draw in 1997 and a 4-0 German success in 2005.
• Overall, including friendlies, they have met 26 times with Germany winning 14 and Italy four, with eight draws. The goal count is 46-18.
• Italy have never failed to reach the UEFA Women's EURO's last eight while Germany boast a similar record save for the opening editions of 1984 and 1987.