The UEFA European Under-19 Championship consists of three distinct stages: the qualifying round, the elite round and the final tournament.
The qualifying round, played in autumn, is made up of 13 groups of four teams playing in one-venue mini-tournaments. The top two from each progress alongside the third-placed team with the best record against the top pair in their group.
In the elite round, played in the spring, those 27 qualifiers join the top seed, given a bye, in seven mini-tournament groups of four. The group winners then join the hosts in the finals.
The seven qualifiers plus the hosts are split into two groups of four who play each other once, with the top two progressing to the semi-finals. The winners of those ties contest the final.
Further details, including the criteria for separating teams that finish level on points in a group, or after extra time in a match, can be found in the official competition regulations.
The UEFA European Under-19 Championship draw has been made in Tbilisi.
Group A: Georgia (hosts), Czech Republic, Sweden, Portugal
Group B: Germany, England, Bulgaria, Netherlands
Calendar (match schedule tbc)
Group A: 2, 5, 8 July
Group B: 3, 6, 9 July
Semi-finals: 12 July
Final: 15 July
• Georgia qualified for the 2013 finals – their sole previous U19 tournament appearance – while Sweden are making their debut.
• This will be Portugal's tenth finals outing; they have contested the semi-finals or better in three of the past four seasons.
• England beat the Netherlands 2-1 in last year's group stage on their way to the semi-finals.
• The Dutch then overcame Germany 5-4 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to finish fifth overall and qualify for the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
• Bulgaria knocked out holders France in the elite round while England eliminated record seven-time winners Spain.
• Germany are aiming for a third U19 title after their 2008 and 2014 triumphs. No other 2017 qualifier has lifted the trophy since the competition's redesignation from U18 in 2001/02.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.